school shoes

school shoes
their tiny shoes

Sunday, January 12, 2014

Yomari

Last night I was invited to make yomari dumplings, a Newari treat. It is a popular snack/dessert made from simple rice dough and a sweet filling. The filling is a dark gooey mixture of molasses, sesame seeds, and some clarified butter. They are steamed and served hot. I was informed these hot delicacies will ward off both the cold and colds. Beats sitting on a hot brick.

The finished product. Guess which one's mine.

I assume I was called upstairs to help the chefs because of my famous success with momo. Now I will document how to make yomari. I will try to be as appropriate as I can.

First, roll a ball of rice dough into the traditional tear-drop yomari shape. I am told the triangular shape is magical, or a symbol of wisdom, or both.




Next, grease your finger up. One will do. Begin to make a finger-width hole into the dumpy end of the dough, gently drilling toward the skinny end. We used ghee to grease our pokers. This makes the hole nice and moist and prevents unwanted tearing.




Really work your way into the dough. A gentle swirling technique is optimal. Slide your finger in past the second knuckle. Reapply lubrication as needed.




Then slowly widen the entrance to the hole. This is easy once your dough is nice and loose from all that swirling. Swirling is key.



Now, if you couldn't tell already, I wasn't the one taking the photos. So this is the best shot I have of the most fun step, the brown-stuff step. Take about one to two teaspoons of the molasses/sesame mix and watch it glop and slough off into your dumpling hole.


Try not to spill any on the rim.


Then, delicately so as not to tear the dough, gently twist your opening closed until your hole is sealed. Wipe away any molasses that happens to ooze out of your closed opening. 

Concentration is key. Swirling and concentration.




Once wiped clean, present your yomari with a smile on your face. Yomari are steamed and shortly thereafter served. The kids love them, and gobbled them up quickly. I was cautious at first, but after the first bite I knew I would want a second dumpling. They are sweet, but not overly sweet like too many of the Nepali snacks I've encountered. Still, the thick filling makes this dessert best eaten in moderation. Yomari is a great Newari winter treat.

No comments:

Post a Comment