school shoes

school shoes
their tiny shoes

Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Student Profile: Aaditi Thakuri


Aaditi is a diva. She is striking her one-knee-bent, side-turn pose in nearly every picture she’s in, and I’m fairly certain this is because she is in that pose a majority of the time—even when there isn’t a camera around. The three amigos of Stephens, Aaditi, Christina, and Unisha, will entertain themselves by fake whining to me or any adult, and seeing who is better at it. Aaditi is usually the undisputed champion, although they all belong at the next Olympics for it. She also has an unbeatable “What do you think you’re doing-” face.


Aaditi is a diva who isn’t afraid to get dirty and will kick butt playing football with the boys (even is she’s not kicking the ball all that often.) I really believe she needs to find a sport she can fall in love with because I see her speed and athleticism, but she doesn’t really care for concrete courtyard soccer or badminton—the staple sports here at Stephens. Aaditi’s “5 Things” she writes everyday make me laugh without fail—she is very funny and knows it. Here is the self-proclaimed Stephens Princess, Aaditi Thakuri.

 --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Me: Can you introduce yourself. Who are you, where does your family live, what grade are you in, things like that...


Aaditi: My name is Aaditi Thakuri, my family lives in Budanilkantha Chowk. I live in Stephens International School. I am 8 years old. My father is in Dubai and he earns lots of money for me. My mother is beautician. She can decorate my hair and face also. Aavash, he is a student. He is 5 years old. He became first or second in his exam. My sister’s name is Anisha Thakuri, she passed the SLC, and she works hard also. She is 18. My other brother’s name is Sabit. He is also in Dubai, he cooks food for the hotel.

Me: Do you know what your dad is doing in Dubai?

Aaditi: No sir
Me: Do you miss him?

Aaditi: Yes sir.

Me: I saw that he sent you a Barbie doll…

Aaditi: Yes sir. I like it very much. It has a house also and a bed also and different dresses…

Me: When you grow up, what do you want to do?

Aaditi: I also want to go to Dubai.

Me: And work with your dad? Do you know what kind of job you want in Dubai?

Aaditi: I want to be businesswoman.

Me: What is your favorite part of the day?

Aaditi: My favorite part of the day when I was small and I kick my father [laughs]

Me: When are you going to see him next?

Aaditi: I don’t know.

Me: Well I hope you get to see him soon. What’s your favorite subject in school?

Aaditi: Math

Me: Oh that’s good especially if you want to be a businesswoman.

How does she always know when there's a camera on her?
Aaditi: Yes and I got a 74 by 75 on my exam.

Me: Nice job! What is the last thing you think about before you go to sleep at night?

Aaditi: Before I sleep I think I should see good dreams.

Me: If you could say anything and the whole world could hear you, what would you say?

Aaditi: First I will say my mother and father name. I would say all of you should help the person who have poor. We should not be greedy.

Me: My friends know facts about Nepal, but they don’t know what it’s like to live here everyday or to walk down the street in the city. What can you tell them about life in Nepal?

Aaditi: I will say them we should have map… We should have map if we go in the hills. I will say Kathmandu was clean place before but now it is very polluted.

Me: So now I think I know, but what is your least favorite thing about Kathmandu?

Aaditi: I don’t like how the city is dirty, people throw garbages and dead animals and dirty things in the river.

Me: What is your religion?

Aaditi: What does religion mean?

Me: Like, Hindu, Buddhist… Asoke and Sita Miss are Christian, Chettri…

Aaditi: I am Chettri.

Me: And what is your favorite holiday?

Aaditi: My favorite holiday is holi vacation…

Me: What do you do to celebrate?

Aaditi: I won’t throw water because it makes us sick, but my family, I put colors in their face.

Me: [Laughing] Like tikka colors? But no water?

Aaditi: Yes, tikka, but no water—that will make us sick.

Even exhausted and grumpy after 4 hours
of trekking, Aaditi can summon a smile
and strike a pose

Me: What is your favorite food?

Aaditi: Pizza

Me: What kind of pizza?

Aaditi: Sir, cheese pizza. Double cheese pizza.

Me: Do you like to play sports?

Aaditi: Yes sir.

Me: What is your favorite sport?

Aaditi: Shirt-wearing.

Me: Short wearing? What is that? Who can put their shorts on the fastest?

Aaditi: I became first and third in that. And we should put that umm… [pretends to fasten a button at her throat]

Me: OH! Shirt wearing competition—that we did for Sports Week. You came in first?

Aaditi: And third. I wore that shirt.

Me: This one?!

Aaditi: Yes sir, it is easy to do this umm…[pretends to button the cuff]

Me: Oh I still have trouble with those…Ok, what is your favorite thing about Stephens?

Music is my popular

Aaditi: My favorite thing is the good manners and study.

Me: Who is your best friend and why?

Aaditi: My best friend is Suprabha. She is a kind, nice person and when I am absent from class she would help me to study.

Me: What do you guys do when you hang out?

Aaditi: When Rachel Ma’am come and teach us Ships and Sailor and my friends come in, we played that only. I teach them all and we play that only.

Me: Is there anything else you want to say before you go back to playing?

Aaditi: I want to say your friends… if they will come to this school they should not leave this school.

Me: Oh come on! Don’t say that. What if they have to leave the school? Or what if they know they’re going to come back?

Aaditi: [Laughs]

Me: Fine. But you guys have to promise to visit me, too. Promise?

Aaditi: Promise.

Me: Ok. Go play and make sure those boys aren’t cheating.

Aaditi: Ok. But they are so bad.

Me: Hahaha, I know. Thanks, Aaditi.



No comments:

Post a Comment