school shoes

school shoes
their tiny shoes

Saturday, January 4, 2014

Student Profile: Dipesh Uprety

I don't think many people know very much about Nepal. Most know that it is home to the biggest mountain in the world, monks, and yetis, and Tintin fans know that our favorite journalist and his dog have been here. My goal is to give you a better view of the people that live here. However, as long as I’m the one behind the keyboard, you will still be reading a foreigner’s views on Nepal. So I’m going to devote 18 posts to the kids who live here at Stephens; older kids will write about themselves, and younger ones I will interview.

Because of its divisive geography of rivers and mountains, Nepal is home to many different cultures and people. Kathmandu has become a melting pot of all these people just in the last quarter century or so. Hopefully before I leave this blog will serve to give a reader a small taste of who these people are.


Today I’ve brought Dipesh Uprety into my room to write about himself. I don’t know if he’s glad to be out of study class or if he thinks this is worse than schoolwork. But I did bribe him with chocolate and he declined, so maybe he’s here because he wants to be. Now, here is Dipesh Brother, writing about himself using a couple prompts I gave him.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello to everyone. My name is Dipesh Uprety. There are a lot of castes in Nepal and Uprety is one of them. Caste means last name. I live at Kalimati which is in Kathmandu. For now, I am living far away from my parents at the Stephens hostel. I like football but I don’t play nicely.


There are lots of people in my family. They all live in the same neighborhood in Kalimati. For now we are only 4 members living in my house. They are my mother, father, brother, and me. The total number of my family is maybe 35 who all live together in the same neighborhood. Others live very far away from us, like in Surkhet, about 400km away from Kathmandu.

Our religion is Hindu. Although Nepal is a secular country, we all mostly follow Hindu religion. My religion is unimportant to me, I follow it because I respect my parents.

I don’t like all kinds of things, but I like some sports like swimming, football, basketball, and cricket. In Nepal most of the people’s hobby is football.

He didn't say it, but he is also a quality trekker. He's more reserved
and respectful than some of his fellow boarders (and has better stamina.)

My school is Little Rose but my hostel is at Stephens. I am in class 8. Little Rose is 5 minutes away from Stephens. My school is very good and it has very good basketball players.

Actually, they are all my best friends who are in my class (I asked Dipesh about his best friends.) But if someone thinks the friend who is with you the whole day is your best friend, then my best friend is Bibek Gurung who is one grade up than me. But in the school, everyone is my best friend. My friends could describe me by telling the same things. They would describe me like, “He is friendly. He is good. He is good at his studies.”

Bibek, Dipesh, and I, being cool high above the city

Two favorite movies of mine are the Hobbit and Evil Death. I like these movies because I like the way they think and I like the action and characters.

One thing I want everyone to know about Nepal is its geography. It is long like a belt and its look is different from other maps I have seen. Everyone should look at a map of Nepal. Goodbye.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And, to help Dipesh brother with his wish, here is a map of Nepal, explore it for a little while:

1 comment:

  1. I love hearing from Dipesh and really look forward to hearing more about Nepal and the students at your school in their own voices and words!

    ReplyDelete