school shoes

school shoes
their tiny shoes

Saturday, January 11, 2014

Student Profile: Bibek Gurung



Bibek Gurung is the leader of the Stephens gang, the big head of the hostel. Bibek and Dipesh helped me a lot when I first arrived because they have a very good handle on English and they were both easy to talk to—they tended not to start screaming or laughing hysterically when talking to me as the fourth and fifth graders were wont to do. One of my first shocks about life here came when Bibek told me that this October would be the first time in ten years that he went back home to see his family. He lives one day away by bus, then five days trekking to get to his house from the city. We have made an agreement that I will visit his home in Gorkha in the future. I can't wait.



For Bibek, I wrote down some questions to get him writing but said he should deviate from the questions and write whatever he wanted. So for some of the following, you might have to imagine the question being asked. Here is Bibek Gurung, our fearless leader.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey! It’s me Bibek Gurung. I am from Grade 9. Everybody knows me by Bibek Gurung but my actual name is Tsewang Ghhurmay Gurung. I live in hostel but my permanent house at northern Gorkha, Behi. As you know I live in Stephens hostel but my school is Little Rose School. It takes 5 minutes away from my hostel.

My home is Behi which is in Gorkha, who lives the great warrior Prithivi Narayan Shah. It takes 5 days to get to my home. My mother and mother’s sister live there and my father’s sisters live in Gorkha Bazar. My parents are far away so they can’t meet me all the time, sometimes I talk to them by phone. Then also, I can’t live without them for 1 sec, I love my parents. <3

It's kind of his motto

My religion is Buddhism. No it is not important to me but I follow it because of my parents.

My hobbies are to play football, to play swim, to play basketball, etc…


"Kathmandu is over there somewhere. It is famous for its temples"





[Another favorite hobby of his is pointing at things in the distance and pretending to know what's there]

"And over that hill, of course, is a famous temple"

"And in that valley is a truly magnificent temple"
















"And right behind us... I don't know, probably another temple"

The boarders are already good but if I had to improve them more, it would be respect each other, you need to have creative minds, activities by watching movies, playing games, etc…

When I was young I use to play with sand and my mom use to scold me. Sometimes I use to cry mumy! Mumy! :`( and my mom use to give me chocolates and I use to be happy again. When my father came in the evening, I use to run and play with him.


His father taught him well. He is one of the best technical
football players at Stephens and has a great mind for the game




My best friend’s name is Dipesh Upreti. He also lives with me at hostel. He is one grade smaller than me. When I am in trouble he always helps me. I also help him when he is in trouble.

Dipesh and Gurung, wary of that arrow on their only day off

Two things I will teach your friends are “Namaste” is our Nepali greeting and Nepal’s capital city is Kathmandu.


Before saying bye I will ask just two questions. What is your e-mail ID? And when will you will come back to Nepal? And also before you go I will want one thing I will always remember to you and mam.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The two questions at the end were supposed to be directed to my friends and family who are looking at this blog's pictures, but I was touched he decided to read the prompt wrong and asked to stay in touch. Of course I will give him all my information. But now I have to leave him a meaningful keepsake... hope you like water-purifying iodine tablets, Bibek.


No comments:

Post a Comment