school shoes

school shoes
their tiny shoes

Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Student Profile: Bibika Lama




Bibika Lama is the youngest boarder currently at Stephens. She loves to make noises hit me and then run away laughing, or to pretend to throw something at me and laugh hysterically at my reaction. She will not, however, talk to me.





Bibika, tucking a flower behind Thapa Dai's ear
The other boarders seem to think this is because she does not know English. But I know better. Bibika is very intelligent and understands a lot more of what I say than she lets on. She simply does not want to respond to me (at least in a recognizable language.) Not only is she at the top of her class, she is also very athletic, winning most of her competitions during Sports Week. Being the youngest at the hostel, she is sometimes left out of certain activities like trekking excursions and playing soccer at Jimal. She doesn't seem to mind--she is always wandering around in her own world, squatting by some flowers and playing with them, or following Thapa Dai (the school gate- and grounds-keeper) around helping to keep the potted plants healthy and beautiful. Bibika is smart, loyal, mischievous and always laughing and smiling. Here is Stephen's adorable Bibika Lama.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Me: What is your name? Heath! Be quiet! Ok, what is your name?

Bibika: My name is Bibika Lama.

Me: And who is in your family?

Bibika: … [Plays with her hair and smiles]




Me: Who is in your family?

Bibika: …

Me: Ok so your name is Bibika Lama, how old are you?

Bibika: 5 years old.

Me: And what grade are you in?

Bibika: LKG

Me: Lower Kindergarten? What is your favorite thing to do in school?

Bibika: … [Rocks back and forth in chair and smiles]

Bibika took home at least 3 gold medals at this year's Sport Week

Me: Is it math?

Bibika: … [Nods head]

Me: Is it English?

Bibika: [Shakes head]

Me: So it’s math? Yeah? What’s your favorite part about math? Addition, subtraction, counting…?

Bibika: … [Blows a bubble in her mouth]

Me: I see. Where do you live?

Bibika: Chakrapath.

Bibika and her brother Bibek, I Spy-ing together

Me: Wait a minute, Chakrapath? Oh! You mean here at Stephens. Good. And where does your family live?

Bibika: … Sanepa.

Me: And who lives there?

Bibika: … [smiles]

Me: Hm, I thought I would get you there. That’s fine. What’s your favorite food? Mine is Snickers. And all kinds of chocolate.

Bibika: … [Plays with hat and smiles]

Me: Dal-bhat? Momo? Pizza? Chicken? Mango? What is it?

Bibika: …

Me: Ok. What’s your favorite animal?


Bibika: …… Eagle.

Me: Cool! Did you know that’s the national bird of America? The national bird of Nepal is the Lophophorus, and the national bird of America is the eagle.

Bibika: [Laughs. Then gets distracted by an airplane.]

Me: Airplane. Have you ever been on an airplane?

Bibika: [Shakes head]

Me: Do you want to? You could come with me on Friday. I know Rachel would love that.



Bibika: [Smiles]

Me: Ok. Umm… What’s the silliest face you can make? This is mine. 

Bibika: [Laughs. Then chews on her hat]

Me: That’s not silly, you’re just biting your hat!

Bibika: [Laughs]

Me: Umm… Right now you can say anything you want to my friends and family. How about you tell me a story, can you tell me a story?

Bibika: [Shakes head]

Me: Do you want to say anything?

Bibika: [Shakes head]

Me: Ok, lets see. Do you like Stephens?



Bibika: [Nods head]
Me: Ok… um… Do you have a best friend? You do? Who is your best friend?

Bibika: Nimisha.

Me: What do you do together? Do you play?
Bibika: [Nods head]

Me: What do you play?

Sometimes I look at her and she looks more mature than
the other students

Bibika: [Shrugs shoulders] ......

Me: How about this. How about I give you a brand new bottle of bubbles and I videotape you playing with bubbles? I think that’s what the people really want. Does that sound good to you? Do you want these bubbles?

Bibika: [Nods head]


Me: All right. Let me get my camera, and then lets get to playing bubbles.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bibika--don't forget about your pals Alex and Rachel. We'll be waiting for you and your Stephens friends to visit us in America. Hopefully you'll be more willing to speak actual words to me, but if not it's no big deal. We can certainly play with some bubbles and have a blast doing so. Bye Bibika!


1 comment:

  1. oh bibika. such a little cutie…her winter clothes. too much. my bubble video is more shrieky if you want that bad boy

    ReplyDelete