school shoes

school shoes
their tiny shoes

Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Student Profile: Yuvraj Sharma


Yuvraj is one of the more reserved students living at Stephens Boarding School. He doesn’t like being the leader of the group, but everyone respects him, even if he’s only in class five. He is thoughtful, intelligent, and always ready to laugh. He doesn’t mind the rather crass nickname, Donkey, his older friends and brother bestowed upon him, and instead wields it himself to get a laugh and spread some smiles. It has taken me a while to get to know him better, as he is more likely to be talking and laughing with a friend than speaking for the group, but he is not afraid to speak up when he wants to, and certainly won’t let up an opportunity to make fun of me or joke with me.

Recently I discovered Yuvraj’s knack for writing. He is the only fifth grader who I will ask to write a Student Profile unassisted. I can say with confidence that he is one of the most creative and thoughtful students at the school. He is quick to make up a little rhyming song, English or Nepali, and when I asked him to write his own poem for this blog, he had one for me in 10 minutes. I love it. Look out for Yuvraj Sharma in the future. If he’s not a football player, or even if he is, his name is sure to be on books and poems around the world.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My name is Yuvraj Sharma. I live in Kathmandu (the capital of Nepal.) My village name is Ranukhana (Jumla.) I think about my study and I sing songs and poems with a small voice at night.

In my family there are five members. They are my two brothers, my mother and my father. They work very hard for me. They want me to become a better person. I will make my parents happy by becoming a good person.

Yuvraj and his older brother, Yagya, modeling the school uniform for me

I already wrote my village name in the top paragraph. In my village are my best friends. My village is very nice and beautiful. My village has the facilities of school, temple, drinking water and so on.

I want to be a singer and football player when I grow up. (In the future.)

I have one favorite poem that is Echoing Green. I have one favorite song that is Gentleman and my favorite story is The Hobbit.

I would say that we all people are living in the earth. so, we should protect our earth. (when the world can listen.)


My best friend is Gajeandra who is a very nice guy. When we were in the school we used to play, sing, and have fun.

My favorite thing about Kathmandu is that it is a city.

My least favorite things about Kathmandu is the pollution, in the Kathmandu Valley.

Nepal is a small country but it is famous in natural resources. Nepal is a beautiful country. It has many natural resources like the mountains, river, lakes, etc. Nepal is surrounded by India to the south, China to the north.

Three questions for Alex’s friends:
1) Do you like my writing way?
2) Do you like my handwriting?
3) Tell me your name?


[If you couldn't tell, I gave Yuvraj some questions to get him going. I can't tell if he misinterpreted my last question about what he would want to ask my friends (note the 's'), or if he is taking a dig at me. I think he's taking a dig at me.]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

William Blake's
The Echoing Green

The sun does arise,
And make happy the skies;
The merry bells ring
To welcome the spring;
The skylark and thrush,
The birds of the bush,
Sing louder around
To the bell's cheerful sound,
While our sports shall be seen
On the Echoing Green.

Old John with white hair,
Does laugh away care,
Sitting under the oak,
Among the old folk.
They laugh at our play,
And soon they all say:
'Such, such were the joys
When we all, girls and boys,
In our youth time were seen
On the Echoing Green.'

Till the little ones, weary,
No more can be merry;
The sun does descend,
And our sports have an end.
Round the laps of their mothers
Many sisters and brother,
Like birds in their nest,
Are ready for rest,
And sport no more seen
On the darkening Green.




No comments:

Post a Comment